How do I setup a virtual fax using Fax Boxes in PISTON?
The following steps is to setup a virtual fax machine for either inbound or outbound purposes. For outbound, please contact Voxter for white labeling pricing.
Case I: Setting up the virtual fax machine in PISTON
- Login into the PISTON management interface as the admin user.
- Under VoIP Services, click Callflows.
- Update or create a new callflow:
- Assign a telephone number for inbound faxes or optionally, assign an internal extension
- On the right panel, click Advanced then drag 'FAX BOXES' icon onto the callflow.
- From the pop-up window that says 'Connect call to faxbox', Click Add a new faxbox.
- Fill in the following:
- Faxbox name: enter a name such as 'accounting fax'
- Assign to: assign to a particular user so email copies are sent to that user's email.
- Inbound faxes: this is selected for you upon selecting the 'Assign to' above field.
- Fax sent receipts: this is selected for you upon selecting the 'Assign to' above field.
- Caller ID (outbound): the telephone number showing up as caller ID.
- Caller name: The name of the outbound (example "Fax company A")
- Fax header: the internal fax header upon receiving faxes (example "company A Fax Printer")
- for example: @voxter.com @voxter.com @companyabc.com
- example: companyabc.fax.voxter.com
- If you are using your own domain or subdomain, then please ensure you have the proper DNS entries (please have your network administrator involved) as follows:
- Setup a single fax box for all your clients:
- Add/Update the DNS CNAME record for fax.company.com to point to fax.voxter.ca.
- It can't be an A record.
- Setup multiple fax boxes (one per client):
- Add/Update the DNS CNAME record for fax.company.com to point to fax.voxter.com
- Add a new DNS wildcard CNAME record for *.fax.company.com to point to fax.voxter.com
- Optional if the DNS is unable to automatically look for the MX record of the CNAME: Update the DNS MX record for *.fax.company.com to point to a host that points to the above domain. EG: fax.company.com
- SMTP permission list: this is the list of email addresses allowed to send outbound email faxes. Input pseudo email fields that may include your own domain but at least the following each separated by a space:
- Custom SMTP address: this is a custom smtp addressed used as the "to" field to send email fax outbound requests. Format is customname.fax.voxter.com where 'customname' usually is your company name or a short version of it.
- nothing to set here.
Case II: How to email a fax to the outside world
- Create an email with a SINGLE PDF attachment containing the fax content. Make sure to add the attachment, otherwise the fax would not succeed.
- Ensure there are no other attachment content such as pictures (email signature as a picture).
- In the "To" field of the email, input the fax number as digits only following with the custom address as set in Case I in the SMTP tab. For example: email@example.com.
- Send the email.
Case III: How to receive faxes
- Provide the fax number assigned to the callflow as set in Case I to the external requestor to fax like any normal fax.
- If there is no telephone number assigned, then please assign one from your available pool.
- If there is no telephone number in the available pool then please contact Voxter to request a telephone number, fees will apply based on your level of service.
- Save the callflow upon assigning the telephone number.
- The user's email address will automatically receive the fax as an email upon reception.