*** NOTE: For VOXTER customers and resellers ONLY ***
Description I need to register my business location or locations for E911 services and I am located in North America.
Please note: This article is for emergency services in North America only and exclusively for Voxter customers and resellers. If you are a Voxter customer and require coverage in other geographies, please contact support.
E911 emergency location verification
In accordance to FCC, CRTC and NENA standards and regulations, Voice Over IP telephone users must register their phones with a corresponding physical location (address) for the purpose of 911 emergency calls; also referred to as E911.
Voxter Communications may periodically remind you to verify the accuracy of the information in our management portal, and update this as required. Failure to accurately register your information may result in a delay or inability to dispatch Emergency Services to your location.
It is the customer's responsibility to ensure that E911 information is accurate and up-to-date.
Additionally, by using our service the customer agrees and acknowledges that:
- A key difference between traditional 9-1-1 services ("Traditional 911") and VoIP phone 911 ("VoIP 911") is that with Traditional 911, a 911 call is sent directly to the nearest emergency response centre whereas with VoIP 911, a 911 call is forwarded to a third-party service provider that will automatically or manually route such call to the nearest emergency response centre;
- An emergency operator may or may not have the name, location or contact information of a caller using VoIP 911 and as such the customer that is making the VoIP 911 call must at all times provide the emergency operator with their location and contact particulars;
- The customer will provide Voxter with the accurate address for the Site and will immediately update Voxter with any modifications thereto;
A complete Terms of Service regarding E911 is available at https://www.voxter.com/911-services/
How to keep your E911 directory information updated
Our company has only one physical location:
- For your convenience, you can manage your E911 registrations from within the Management Portal located at: http://manage.voxter.com
- Log into your Voxter Account
- Select the Phone Numbers (or Number Manager) module from the list of apps across the top of the page.
- Find the number you would like to register and click the blue E911 link in the same line.
- Only input digits (without parenthesis, space, etc)
- Enter the appropriate address information for the number
If your company has more than one physical location serviced by Voxter, complete the step for each number that requires an E911 registration. Please note that for companies with more than one physical location and E911 registration the following should be taken into account.
- Voxter is unable to accomodate a default emergency outgoing caller ID on a per location basis; instead, you can only set one for all locations.
- For each additional location, you will need to create an override for the Emergency Caller ID. This needs to be done for each extension at a given location and can be done from within the Management Portal.
- Please see this article for help with CallerID
- If unsure on the override steps or how to set the default emergency outgoing caller ID, please contact your Voxter Customer Success Hero to request access or training.
- Unsure how to reach us? How to contact Voxter for support
- Once completed, please verify that the outgoing caller ID for each phone extension corresponds to the appropriate location and E911 registration.
Successful E911 registrations are displayed with green text in the Phone Numbers module of the Management Portal.
Clicking the E911 text on a successful registration will allow you to verify the existing registration or edit the information contained within.
- If unsure on how many or which phone numbers your company has registered with Voxter, please submit a request here to be provided a list.
- If you would like further guidance or training on how to add or update an address to a telephone number using the self-service options in the Management Portal, please contact Voxter Support here or call us at 1-866-381-8647.
- For all other inquiries, please contact us Voxter Communications by submitting to us here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I want to call from my cell phone using the softphone app like Bria, Zoiper or Voxter mobile?
A: Please use your actual cell phone instead of the softphone app. Otherwise, emergency response will come to the registered address and not your cell phone’s registered address or location.
Q: What if our company has only one telephone number but multiple office locations?
A: It is recommended to have at least one phone number per location. Please inquire with Voxter Communications for information regarding adding additional phone numbers.